Last Updated: 09/04/2018
Information Collected About You
We collect information about you in several ways, including when you complete and submit a form on the Site, or when you contact Us through email or telephone. The information collected falls into the following categories:
- PERSONAL: Name, social security number, date of birth, address, phone number, email address;
- PROFESSIONAL: Employer, job title, medical license number, state of license;
- FINANCIAL: Income, debt levels, bank account information.
We collect information about you in order to process and underwrite your loan requests.
In addition to the information above, We also track your activity on the Site and information associated with such activity, such as IP addresses and device IDs using cookies. “Cookies” are small text files that are either used for the duration of a session (“session cookies”), or saved on a user’s hard drive in order to identify that user the next time s/he logs on to the website (“persistent cookies”). We may use session cookies to identify users logging in to the Site. These cookies are deleted from the component’s server soon after the session ends and are not collected or saved. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually change your browser to prevent that, although if you do disable cookies from your browser you may not be able to access certain sections of the Site.
Your Right to Choose
Any information that We collect from you through the Site is information that you specifically and voluntarily provide. You may choose not to provide any or all of the information that is requested through the Site. By so choosing, however, you may limit your ability to receive some or all of the services generally offered to users of the Site, including approval for your loan and underwriting requests. In the event that you no longer want us to process or utilize your information, please contact us using the “Contact Us” form on the Site and inform us of this choice.
Access to Your Information
Users of the Site who have created an account may amend or delete certain pieces of their information by logging into their account and accessing the “Manage Account” section within their client portal on the Site. Other users may contact us using the “Contact Us” form on the Site or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
How We Use Your Information
Information is collected for the purposes stated in this Policy and will not be processed in a manner that is incompatible with these purposes.
We collect and use your information for the following purposes:
- To allow you to use the Site and perform actions requested by you. For example, if you apply for a loan, We will use your information to perform a credit and background check. Please note that you will be asked separately whether you agree to this credit inquiry.
- For HIPPO or internal marketing purposes. For example, We may use your data to inform you of additional updates or features of the Site or conduct a survey for the purpose of improving user experience.
- For operating and improving the Site and your customer experience. We collect and analyze data on your use of the Site and process it for the purpose of improving our online customer experience. Data collected could include data about your device, such as unique device identifiers, information about your mobile phone or other mobile device(s), browser types, browser language, operating system, and the state or country from which you accessed the Site. Data collected could also include information related to your interactions with the Site, such as referring and exit pages and URLs, platform type, and the number of clicks and domain names used within the interaction with the Site. This data allows Us to understand our customers, their interaction within the Site, and to improve the Site to better serve our customers. We use third-party analytics providers and technologies, including cookies and similar tools, to assist in collecting this information. For a list of third parties and the information collected, please contact email@example.com.
- For security purposes. We may use your data to protect the Site and its users against security breaches and to prevent fraud and violation of the Site’s applicable agreements.
- For hosting purposes. We may collect and host your data to provide services to you. However, we will not review, share, distribute, or reference any such data except as provided herein or in a services agreement between Us and our customer, or as may be required by law.
- Protection of HIPPO and Others. We may disclose your information to: (i) comply with legal obligations; (ii) respond to claims that any content violates the rights of third parties; (iii) respond to your requests for customer service; and/or (iv) the extent necessary for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by Us or by the third party or parties to whom the data are disclosed, except where such interests are overridden by the interests for fundamental rights and freedoms of the users. We may also disclose information to law enforcement agencies in emergency circumstances, where the disclosure of such information is consistent with the types of emergency disclosures permitted or required by law.
- Business Transfers. We reserve the right to disclose and transfer all of your information, to a successor (or potential successor) company in connection with a merger, acquisition, or sale of all, or components, of our business, or in connection with due diligence associated with any such transaction.
- Backups. We keep backup copies of data in order to protect the Site and our users from a catastrophic failure as part of disaster recovery. These backups are kept secure using the same level of security (or greater) as our standard servers.
Sharing Your Information:
You have the right to know with whom we share your information.
We may share your information with:
Any agents, partners, or contractors who assist us in providing or operating the Site. Transactional assistance may also be provided by our agents, partners, or contractors, including: processing transactions, fulfilling requests for information, credit checks, background checks, and confirmation of information the United States Internal Revenue Service. Other support services provided may include: data storage, transfer, analysis and processing, legal services, providing IT, and in other tasks as requested, from time to time. Our agents, partners, and contractors will only use your information to the extent necessary to perform their functions and are subject to contractual restrictions prohibiting them from using your information for any other purpose.
Parties we may share your information with include: 1.) HIPPO’s affiliates; 2.) credit bureaus; 3.) vendors who provide IT and marketing services; 4.) purchasers of loans; and 5.) referral agents.
HIPPO may share non-personally identifiable information, such as aggregated user statistics, with third parties. We do not share your information with third parties for those third parties’ marketing purposes unless you consent to such sharing at the time you provide your information. We may share the information we have collected about you, including personal information, as disclosed at the time you provide your information and as described below or otherwise in this Policy.
Retention of Your Information
This section explains how long We will retain your personal information following termination of our relationship and the reasons for retention.
We will only keep your information as long as it remains necessary for the identified purpose(s) for which it was originally collected and for up to seven (7) years afterwards or otherwise permitted by law, or as required for our business operations or by applicable laws. Examples can include mandatory data retention laws in the applicable jurisdiction, government orders to preserve data relevant to an investigation, or data that must be retained for the purposes of litigation.
Consent To Transfer Information to the United States
The Site is operated in the United States. If you are located in the European Union, Canada, or elsewhere outside of the United States, please be aware that information collected on the Site will be transferred to and processed in the United States. By using this Site or providing Us with any information, you consent to this transfer and to the processing and storage of your information in the United States, a jurisdiction in which the privacy laws may not be as comprehensive as those in the country where you reside and/or are a citizen.
This section provides details about your rights in relation to your personal information.
You may ask Us to:
- Access all the personal information about you held by Us. On request, we will provide you with a copy of this information. You may exercise your right of access to your personal information:
- By emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org and making the request.
Please note that we may be required to ask you for further information in order to confirm your identity before we provide the information requested.
- Correct, erase, or delete your personal information where appropriate. Please note, you may review and update certain user profile information by logging in, as applicable, to the relevant sections of the Site where such information may be updated;
- Restrict the processing of your personal information while We investigate your concern;
- Where your processing is based on your consent, you have a right to receive your information in a commonly used electronic format or ask that We move the data in that format to another provider (when technically possible) where your request relates to the data that you gave us directly (data portability);
- Request that We transmit your data or personal information to another company;
- Withdraw your consent at any time when the processing relies upon consent.
The Security of Your Information
We strive to protect the privacy of the information that you share with us. We have undertaken reasonable efforts to implement security measures designed to protect all data We collect against unauthorized access. We utilize the industry standard security measures available through your browser, so that it is unlikely that your information can be read as it travels over the Internet. Unfortunately, no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As a result, although We strive to protect your information, We cannot ensure or warrant the security of the information that you submit to Us via the Site and you do so at your own risk.
The Integrity of Your Information
HIPPO uses the information that you provide to Us only for the purposes set forth in this Policy. We take reasonable steps to ensure that information that We receive from you is reliable for its intended use, accurate, complete and current, including providing mechanisms by which you can amend or update your information.
If We update or modify this Policy, We will post the changes on this page so that you will always have the ability to know what information We collect, how we use the information, and under what circumstances We deliver the information. Your continued use of the Site after any such changes constitutes your acceptance of the new terms.
Your Questions and Comments
We invite you to learn more about Us. Please contact Us [using the “Contact Us” page] located on the Site.
You acknowledge and agree that regardless of your physical location or the location of any server on which your information may be accessed or used that this Policy and the laws of the United States of America shall govern and control the privacy issues related to the Site.